Davis, Lewis / 64 projects

Lewis Davis (1925–2006) was a noted architect and a co-founder of the architectural firm Davis Brody Bond. He was born in 1925 in New York, served in the Army Air Forces from 1943 to 1945, and received a bachelor's and a master's degree in architecture from the University of Pennsylvania. From 1958–87 Davis was a design studio critic at The Cooper Union.

In 1952, Davis, Samuel M. Brody, and Chester Wisniewski—both Brody and Wisniewski also taught at The Cooper Union—opened their practice as Davis, Brody & Wisniewski. After Alan Schwartzman became a partner in 1965 the firm changed its name to Davis, Brody & Associates. The firm’s early work includes several notable housing projects such as Riverbend, a middle-income complex in upper Manhattan completed in 1967, and the distinctive, mixed-income towers of Waterside Plaza which opened in 1974 on the East River in Kips Bay.

Davis worked on several well-known project including the United States Pavilion at Expo '70 in Osaka, Japan—undertaken in collaboration with fellow Cooper Union faculty member Anthony Candido, and noted for featuring one of the first air-supported cable roofs; the Jane B. Aron Residence hall and the Icahn Institute (also known as the East Building) at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine; the Samuel B. and David Rose Building at Lincoln Center; and the William and Anita Newman Library at Baruch College. In 1990 Davis, Brody merged with Bond Ryder & Associates to become Davis Brody Bond Architects and Planners.

This text has been adapted and compiled from the following sources:
Dunlap, David W. “Lewis Davis, Designer of Apartment Towers, Dies at 80.” The New York Times. The New York Times, May 23, 2006.
Davis Brody Bond.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, October 15, 2019.
Faculty Course Documents / 1 document