Peter William Bruder (1908–1976) was an American engineer and educator. He studied civil engineering at the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn where he received his BSCE. He became a licensed professional engineer, and in 1946 he opened his own consulting practice which he successfully ran for three decades. He joined the faculty of The Cooper Union School of Art and Architecture in 1948 where he became an adjunct professor of architecture and, for the 1970-71 academic year, the head of the Department of Environmental Technology.
During his professional career Bruder collaborated on a wide variety of projects including housing, office buildings, and educational institutions in the U.S., South America, and the Middle East, as well as sewage treatment plants, factories, warehouses, banks, museums, and recreational and medical facilities. Highlights of his career include his work on the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, the U.S. Pavilion at the Brussels World’s Fair, and the Pylon at the 1939 New York World’s Fair. From 1971-74 he worked with John Hejduk and Edwin Aviles on Hejduk’s interior renovation of The Cooper Union’s Foundation Building, which Bruder considered his capstone professional achievement. After his death in 1976, The Cooper Union named him a Professor Emeritus of Architecture.
This text has been adapted and compiled from the following sources:
Hansen, Scott P. “Bruder, Peter.” Museum of American Fencing. Accessed November 7, 2019.